Here are a number of suggestions to help you choose a summer residential camp that is best for your child:
Steps in Selecting a Suitable Camp
- Begin by talking to your child about the programs they are interested in, where they would like to go, how long they would like to stay and if they are willing to go alone or if they prefers to go with a friend.
- Talk to friends, family and neighbours whose children have attended camp before or who attended camp themselves when they were younger.
- Browse through the information for each of our Camp Members on our website.
- Make a shortlist of possible camps for your child.
- Then visit their camp websites for all the detailed information on those camps. In particular you may want to find out what type of programs the Camp offers and what are the activities that occur on a “typical day”.
- In choosing an Accredited Camp you are selecting a camp has demonstrated that they have the ability to meet the Accreditation Standards of our Association. These Accreditation Standards are generally recognized residential camping best practices and policies. To become a CANSPEI Accredited Camp, camps must undergo a formal review process and audit that examines the camp’s written documentation and records in camp administration, staff and volunteer hiring, training and certifications, facilities requirements and maintenance, and all aspects of the camps’ operations and program planning and delivery, food service operations, camp sanitation and emergency planning and first aid safety.By passing the CANSPEI documentary Accreditation review and audit process, an Accredited Camp has demonstrated to CANSPEI their camp has the necessary management and administrative competence, capability, due diligence and monitoring and records keeping systems in place so as the camp can monitor their own camp’s operations in order for that camp to reach, maintain and deliver their day to day operations in compliance to the CANSPEI Accreditation Standards.
However, CANSPEI cannot and does NOT warrant or guarantee that any CANSPEI Accredited Camp’s actual day to day operations are in compliance to the CANSPEI Accreditation Standards. Nor does CANSPEI warrant or guarantee that accidents or incidents that are harmful to campers and/or staff will not happen at a CANSPEI Accredited Camp. The day to day operations of an Accredited Camp are fully the responsibility of that camp. Whether or not an Accredited Camp runs their operations in compliance to the CANSPEI Accreditation Standards is something CANSPEI has no control over whatsoever, as CANSPEI does not run or manage that camp’s operations. Hence an Accredited Camp’s operations are NOT the responsibility of CANSPEI,
But, if it comes to light that an Accredited Camp is knowingly not following or disregarding the CANSPEI Accreditation Standards, then CANSPEI will suspend that camp’s Accreditation certification and designate that camp as a Non-Accredited Camp on our website. For more information on our Accreditation Standards please click here.
- If you still have more question then email or call the Camp Director.
- You may also ask if it is possible to tour the camp facility before making a final decision.